Pages

Friday, October 28, 2016

My First Detention

Detention really isn't my thing. I haven't even ever had one (well, until now, as you can see) and I'm a sophomore in high school. I have no idea why I'm making it sound like a mighty accomplishment, but I guess now it is, since I couldn't avoid getting one myself.

Sigh.

It was great while it lasted.

Before telling my friend exactly why I got the detention , I told her it was because I scaled the new school being built beside the current one to replace the former one. She genuinely believed this happened and I could be so rebellious. She was proud of me for showing a wild side.

I need to get better friends.

The real reason was much more anticlimactic; I was late to school by three minutes and the principal was standing right by the door so I was caught red-handed. I had a plan for this kind of situation, too! But it all backfired as soon as she stopped me to ask why I was late.

My school has assembly every morning, except for Fridays. Attendance is required, and it lasts around 10-12 minutes. My plan was to skip assembly and hang out in the basement classrooms or in the bathroom. IT DIDN'T WORK! Then I saw the principal go into the office, and I thought, "Aw man, she's relaying the names."
BECAUSE THE PREVIOUS DAY, I WAS LATE, TOO! A couple of other people walked into assembly late, like me,, and the principal said that she'd give us a pass that day, but the next day was lunch detention.
DID I HEED THE WARNING? I DIDN'T!

Look where that got me.

That was the reason I had a sinking feeling that she was in the office to relay names for detention. Anyways, I forgot about it over the course of the day. Lunchtime rolls around, and I go to the bathroom. I come back to find the lunch duty teacher telling me that I was asked to go to the Computer Lab. It was then that I knew.

I walked into the computer lab to find at least ten other kids all there already for the same reason. Can you believe that? I was late to my own detention. That I got for being late. The teacher was like, "Aina, why are you late?" And I told him, "I was late by three minutes." He looked really done with everything. Sacrificing lunch hour for a couple of kids who were late by three minutes. He had this...defeated look in his eyes as he said, "Okay. Sit down."

Detention was honestly...extremely chill.

It was like, study hall, without your friends asking you why you only bring a sandwich for lunch. ("I'm not much of a lunch person, that's why!") Add in a teacher who's telling you why you shouldn't be late, and that was detention.

I got my Geometry homework done, though. I'm going to admit, it was a pretty cool experience. 10/10 would do again.

Kidding, kidding.

Not really, though.

Can we talk about why I was late by three minutes, though? It's ridiculous. I totally understand what road rage stems from now.

The drive to school is thirty minutes in the afternoon. At the hours that come with going to school at the crack of dawn, the ride becomes nearly forty-five to fifty minutes long. Outrageous. The traffic is so much. Everywhere. Everywhere! I can't even express in italics how much it irks me that I have to leave my house earlier than I should have to because of the barriers on every road. Literally, my mornings consist of frantically waking up twenty minutes later than I should, throwing water on my face, changing so fast I practically transform, dunking cake rusk in hot tea and burning my mouth, slapping peanut butter with jelly to make a decent lunch, and running out the door with three textbooks in hand because I don't want back problems.

I didn't deserve detention.








No comments:

Post a Comment