Writer's Block is like the neighbor on the block that coincidentally shows up when you're getting ready to relax and not move from the same position for a solid three hours. They're like, "Hey! Thought it's been a while since I last saw you!" (It's been like, five minutes. Ten if we're being precise.)
I'm on winter break now, all ready to write and everything! Guess who decides to show up? The neighbor, that's who! I've been trying to write stuff for this blog and I might as well hand it to my imaginary cat to write it for me. At least people will find the nonsense cute.
(Seriously, I don't understand the world's obsession with cats??! A post for another day.)
See, many people think writer's block is where your brain literally shuts down and your hand is unable to move to make any progress, thus-
I'm just kidding. Nobody thinks that.
In reality, writer's block is sitting for hours trying to piece together some semblance of a paragraph. It often goes like this.
Me, typing: "So, like, I was on my bike the other day."
Brain: That's the most boringest opening sentence in the history of literature.
Me: "Boringest" isn't even a word.
Brain: You're the one who thinks that the brain is a separate entity from yourself.
The computer screen: *continues to remain blank*
It can take a very long time to overcome a case of Writer's Block. If you're one of those rich bloggers who have a view of the ocean and are currently writing your autobiography whilst listening to Mozart, you can easily overcome this disease by taking a week-long vacation halfway across the world. You'll have the ideas by the time you get back!
For nobodies like myself who have a view of the decaying landscape as the snow melts, transforming into brown slush and/or aren't old/interesting enough to be writing an autobiography, we resort to other cures for this dreaded case.
Cures like:
I'm on winter break now, all ready to write and everything! Guess who decides to show up? The neighbor, that's who! I've been trying to write stuff for this blog and I might as well hand it to my imaginary cat to write it for me. At least people will find the nonsense cute.
(Seriously, I don't understand the world's obsession with cats??! A post for another day.)
See, many people think writer's block is where your brain literally shuts down and your hand is unable to move to make any progress, thus-
I'm just kidding. Nobody thinks that.
In reality, writer's block is sitting for hours trying to piece together some semblance of a paragraph. It often goes like this.
Me, typing: "So, like, I was on my bike the other day."
Brain: That's the most boringest opening sentence in the history of literature.
Me: "Boringest" isn't even a word.
Brain: You're the one who thinks that the brain is a separate entity from yourself.
The computer screen: *continues to remain blank*
It can take a very long time to overcome a case of Writer's Block. If you're one of those rich bloggers who have a view of the ocean and are currently writing your autobiography whilst listening to Mozart, you can easily overcome this disease by taking a week-long vacation halfway across the world. You'll have the ideas by the time you get back!
For nobodies like myself who have a view of the decaying landscape as the snow melts, transforming into brown slush and/or aren't old/interesting enough to be writing an autobiography, we resort to other cures for this dreaded case.
Cures like:
- Staring out the window.
- For an extended period of time
- Not being able to sleep because of all the ideas that come to you at 3:24 A.M
- Writing down these ideas in the "notes" app
- Trying to make sense of the note when it comes to actually writing
- Having a midlife crisis
Sigh.
No comments:
Post a Comment