You know how in scary movies (well I don't know, I'm not exactly a fan of horror movies) the characters always do the dumbest things possible? Like, make the intruder a sandwich and play bingo over a conversation about the weather? I did one of those things.
I was there with my family and school friends on an apple orchard trip. In our defense, it didn't explicitly state it was a house of horror. It said something like "Mine Entrance" and we thought it was some tour exploring mines. Why we were interested in that either is beyond me, but hey. If it weren't for accidentally walking into a haunted house, I would probably still have never been in one. It just goes to show you, face your fears - accidentally!
Even after entering the cave-like structure, I didn't find anything suspicious. I genuinely thought the reason they were sending us in groups was because of issues surrounding the size of the area, and not that it would take away from the scare factor if there was a large group of people. There was a coffin shaking behind me, and random men appearing from behind doors, and I still thought it was a tour about mines. They sent my sister in along with her friends, and I heard their screams, but my brain did not register anything much at all. I had never been to a mine tour, so I didn't know what to expect. That's my excuse.
Sigh.
It wasn't until I went in with my group that I realized it was not an exhibit about the underground world. It was dark and frightening, and a really large man kept scaring us out of nowhere. My descriptions will never be able to express to you how genuinely terrified we all were.
Plus, I was in there with my mom. If mines haunted houses weren't scary enough, they are ten times as much scarier when your mother is thinking all sorts of things, and you can feel them through her mind. Things such as:
1) This isn't really a haunted house. They want to kill us. Like, in actual.
I already knew from previous knowledge (this is when knowing random facts comes in handy) that the actors aren't allowed to touch you to scare you, but that didn't help me in that moment. They were after me with a chainsaw that had no chains but I had to run.
I was with my mom and my friend's older sister. One thing I should tell you is that haunted houses definitely make the list for bonding trips. Don't know somebody so well? Feel awkward around them? Confused with what to do with your hands? Go to a mine tour with them.
We went in there as a mom and a daughter with a stranger of sorts, but we came out as buddies for life. I don't think I've ever held anyone's hands as tight as I did that day. The only reason none of us broke down crying for an exit was probably because there was no breathing area between ourselves. I guarantee you, you go in there as a germophobe, you'll come out a hugger.
A dimly lighted area displayed mine carts (where I realized, oh. That's where it gets its name). We initially thought we were supposed to go in that area and ride the carts because it was a part of the maze. After jumping out of our skins, (courtesy of the large man who really didn't want us to go in there) we were directed elsewhere.
Everything is really, really dark. It's unnecessary. You want to proceed further? STUMBLE AROUND SOME MORE! My mom quickly thought of using a phone's light to illuminate our way (the only reason phone lights are even useful anymore) but it was quickly stopped when the Really Large Man (i'm sure they had a shortage of actors and the same guy had to run around following us) growled, "Turn that OFF!"
No amount of italics or bold lettering will indicate how his voice made you shriek. Let me try again. "Turn that OFF!"
Nope, still not working. It just looks like I've only recently discovered the boldness feature.
"tuRN thAT OFF!"
Okay, that's the best I can do. Now it looks like I recently discovered the many versatile ways you can express emotion on the internet. You'll just have to accidentally walk into a mine tour to find out what I mean for yourself.
I have a theory that haunted houses were first built upon after a group of twisted individuals decided to survey a population on what their biggest fears were. They then combined those fears and charged people money for getting face to face with the things they were most scared of.
Humans.
Are you a claustrophobe? Simply walk into a mine tour, where they'll include a section where you have to crawl through a dark passageway, with no idea where you're going. Cured!
Arachnophobe? Watch your step!
Scared of death? Try not to look the guy coming out of the coffin in the eye!
Afraid of heights? You'll love walking around in a place where you can't see where you set your foot!
Enough of this enthusiasm. It was a terrible experience. I didn't learn anything, except for the fact that you should never trust people who hand out mine tours at an apple orchard.
Yes, I'm still mad at myself for making it that far without suspecting anything. Another one for the books.
I was there with my family and school friends on an apple orchard trip. In our defense, it didn't explicitly state it was a house of horror. It said something like "Mine Entrance" and we thought it was some tour exploring mines. Why we were interested in that either is beyond me, but hey. If it weren't for accidentally walking into a haunted house, I would probably still have never been in one. It just goes to show you, face your fears - accidentally!
Even after entering the cave-like structure, I didn't find anything suspicious. I genuinely thought the reason they were sending us in groups was because of issues surrounding the size of the area, and not that it would take away from the scare factor if there was a large group of people. There was a coffin shaking behind me, and random men appearing from behind doors, and I still thought it was a tour about mines. They sent my sister in along with her friends, and I heard their screams, but my brain did not register anything much at all. I had never been to a mine tour, so I didn't know what to expect. That's my excuse.
Sigh.
It wasn't until I went in with my group that I realized it was not an exhibit about the underground world. It was dark and frightening, and a really large man kept scaring us out of nowhere. My descriptions will never be able to express to you how genuinely terrified we all were.
Plus, I was in there with my mom. If
1) This isn't really a haunted house. They want to kill us. Like, in actual.
I already knew from previous knowledge (this is when knowing random facts comes in handy) that the actors aren't allowed to touch you to scare you, but that didn't help me in that moment. They were after me with a chainsaw that had no chains but I had to run.
I was with my mom and my friend's older sister. One thing I should tell you is that haunted houses definitely make the list for bonding trips. Don't know somebody so well? Feel awkward around them? Confused with what to do with your hands? Go to a mine tour with them.
We went in there as a mom and a daughter with a stranger of sorts, but we came out as buddies for life. I don't think I've ever held anyone's hands as tight as I did that day. The only reason none of us broke down crying for an exit was probably because there was no breathing area between ourselves. I guarantee you, you go in there as a germophobe, you'll come out a hugger.
A dimly lighted area displayed mine carts (where I realized, oh. That's where it gets its name). We initially thought we were supposed to go in that area and ride the carts because it was a part of the maze. After jumping out of our skins, (courtesy of the large man who really didn't want us to go in there) we were directed elsewhere.
Everything is really, really dark. It's unnecessary. You want to proceed further? STUMBLE AROUND SOME MORE! My mom quickly thought of using a phone's light to illuminate our way (the only reason phone lights are even useful anymore) but it was quickly stopped when the Really Large Man (i'm sure they had a shortage of actors and the same guy had to run around following us) growled, "Turn that OFF!"
No amount of italics or bold lettering will indicate how his voice made you shriek. Let me try again. "Turn that OFF!"
Nope, still not working. It just looks like I've only recently discovered the boldness feature.
"tuRN thAT OFF!"
Okay, that's the best I can do. Now it looks like I recently discovered the many versatile ways you can express emotion on the internet. You'll just have to accidentally walk into a
I have a theory that haunted houses were first built upon after a group of twisted individuals decided to survey a population on what their biggest fears were. They then combined those fears and charged people money for getting face to face with the things they were most scared of.
Humans.
Are you a claustrophobe? Simply walk into a mine tour, where they'll include a section where you have to crawl through a dark passageway, with no idea where you're going. Cured!
Arachnophobe? Watch your step!
Scared of death? Try not to look the guy coming out of the coffin in the eye!
Afraid of heights? You'll love walking around in a place where you can't see where you set your foot!
Enough of this enthusiasm. It was a terrible experience. I didn't learn anything, except for the fact that you should never trust people who hand out mine tours at an apple orchard.
Yes, I'm still mad at myself for making it that far without suspecting anything. Another one for the books.
No comments:
Post a Comment