Wow, Aina's posting thrice in a month! Whatever happened to her being "busy" all the time?
I still am, except I'm avoiding it for as long as possible. Additionally, December is this blog's official anniversary month, so it's extra special.
Plus, December brings so much material to write about. The lack of snow, the hatred for shopping, the societal pressures of not being alone on New Years' Eve. It's an eventful month of the year.
Today we're going to talk about New Years', because I find the concept ridiculous. I read somewhere that it's not officially the new year until the time reaches America, so we still have have about 2 hours to work with here.
The absurdity of celebrating on December thirty-first begins on the 26th, which, yes, is right after the twenty-fifth, which, yes, is Christmas. Right after people finish being thankful and saying their prayers around a table with their closest family, they go right out and start hoarding to party, because humans are twisted things. Stores deck their halls with ridiculous hats which are completely unacceptable to wear any other day of the year. The leftovers from the Halloween sales also come right out, because some people don't want to wait until the next year to dress up. In fact, the celebration of New Years is a combination of every other holiday in that year that didn't get celebrated enough. It's the filler. Thanksgiving, Easter, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Halloween, Christmas, etc; they're all mixed together to create the wildest bash of the year. By wild, I mean completely without theme. Every holiday has a theme, right. This holiday doesn't have one, meaning people love it ten times as more.
Another issue we have to talk about is New York. Thousands of people gather in suffocating areas to celebrate another year of disappointment. The ball drop was one of the most overrated things I ever sat down to watch, and bear in mind that I've sat through three Super Bowls.
Up until last year I actually thought that when the clock hit 12, then the city of New York dropped (literally, dropped) this gigantic ball made of shiny things and it crashed with such a force that pieces of it went everywhere. I have no idea why my mind decided to concur such an intense imagery. I legitimately thought it was the coolest thing. I spent an hour browsing the internet trying to find a video that had every element that an intense ball dropping video should.
All that literally happened was a shiny sphere floating very slowly down a pole while people rejoiced and got high on intoxicating fluids. There was no sudden crashing and definitely no glass flying in the air. I was very disappointed, to say the least.
I still am, except I'm avoiding it for as long as possible. Additionally, December is this blog's official anniversary month, so it's extra special.
Plus, December brings so much material to write about. The lack of snow, the hatred for shopping, the societal pressures of not being alone on New Years' Eve. It's an eventful month of the year.
Today we're going to talk about New Years', because I find the concept ridiculous. I read somewhere that it's not officially the new year until the time reaches America, so we still have have about 2 hours to work with here.
The absurdity of celebrating on December thirty-first begins on the 26th, which, yes, is right after the twenty-fifth, which, yes, is Christmas. Right after people finish being thankful and saying their prayers around a table with their closest family, they go right out and start hoarding to party, because humans are twisted things. Stores deck their halls with ridiculous hats which are completely unacceptable to wear any other day of the year. The leftovers from the Halloween sales also come right out, because some people don't want to wait until the next year to dress up. In fact, the celebration of New Years is a combination of every other holiday in that year that didn't get celebrated enough. It's the filler. Thanksgiving, Easter, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Halloween, Christmas, etc; they're all mixed together to create the wildest bash of the year. By wild, I mean completely without theme. Every holiday has a theme, right. This holiday doesn't have one, meaning people love it ten times as more.
Another issue we have to talk about is New York. Thousands of people gather in suffocating areas to celebrate another year of disappointment. The ball drop was one of the most overrated things I ever sat down to watch, and bear in mind that I've sat through three Super Bowls.
Up until last year I actually thought that when the clock hit 12, then the city of New York dropped (literally, dropped) this gigantic ball made of shiny things and it crashed with such a force that pieces of it went everywhere. I have no idea why my mind decided to concur such an intense imagery. I legitimately thought it was the coolest thing. I spent an hour browsing the internet trying to find a video that had every element that an intense ball dropping video should.
All that literally happened was a shiny sphere floating very slowly down a pole while people rejoiced and got high on intoxicating fluids. There was no sudden crashing and definitely no glass flying in the air. I was very disappointed, to say the least.
Now, like any common elderly member of society, instead of being entertained by Dubai's magnificent use of fire, I grumble about what a waste of money everything is. I'm not even joking. I find it hard to be delighted when global warming is alive and present, (there's still no snow, for pete's sake)
But, by far, the worst part about being hyped for New Years' is the amount of false expectations you inject in yourself.
Every year, humans vow to better themselves, despite failing the previous year and the year before the previous year and the year before the year before the previous year-
basically, they've been putting off the gym for the past ten years. We're not going to talk about it because we're all collectively ashamed.
I thought about this for a while. I said to myself, "Aina, why aim for such huge goals, if you know you're never going to reach the level of motivation needed to get to such huge amounts of amazing-ness?"
So, I did the right thing. I never made a resolution after that. Now some of you are thinking, "That's terribly pessimistic! At least I have the effort to try!"
See, but you've been trying the previous year and the year before the previous year and the year before the year before the previous year-
This way, I never feel a sinking feeling in my stomach at the end of the year. I used to be the kind of person who outlined their months out and made bucket lists that I knew I'd never complete. This way, I never set any real expectations! And if I do ever feel a sudden urge to better myself, I do it smack-dab in the start of September, when the aroma of school knocks me out of my senses.
Happy New Year.
Your pen is now become Magical
ReplyDeleteMashaAllah
Keep up
JazakAllah Khair!!! I appreciate your comments very much!
DeleteAina
DeleteWaiting your new Blog......
InshAllah soon! Now I found inspiration :)
Delete